Monday, May 18, 2009

A story to make us all feel better

I was visiting Jenica on Saturday with C&A and I realized I'd forgotten some things for them that would make staying Saturday night possible (bottles, diaper wipes, my trusty lovenox injection ... where would I be?). I knew I'd have to drive the three hours home that same night ... I waited until as late as possible to leave to guarantee me the most possible driving time with them ASLEEP. I left late and was tired, so stopped for a giant cup of coffee at a DD drive through. I slurped it down and felt more awake, but then. I realized (duh), I had to pee. I didn't know what to do ... it was dark and my girls were sound asleep in the back of the car. It is pretty much physically impossible for me to carry them around anymore, at least at the same time and I'd also forgotten their shoes (yes, I do that kind of thing!). I drove and drove, becoming more uncomfortable by the minute.

Finally, I decided I had to do something. I ruled out rest areas because I knew I could never leave my little babies in the car even for a minute in a place like that (especially at night!) ... what if what if ... or even if they just woke up and got scared because I wasn't there and they didn't know where I was ...

I decided against some other alternatives, including parking by the side of the road to pee so I could stay near the car (while still taking care of my business) and peeing in a diaper (just too gross!). I was, by then, in pain with all of the pressure on my poor bladder and trying desperately to think clearly in my pain/caffeine fog. I saw a sign for the state police and got off the highway. I drove into the police campus and it looked closed ... no lights on anywhere. Plus, I wasn't sure if I'd get in trouble for leaving the girls in the car long enough to go inside to beg for assistance (and they could still wake up alone and afraid). Steph, this one's for you! So after circling a while, I finally settled on parking my car in a far away lot. I then hopped out and peed like a racehorse using my car as a visual shield from the station building. It took forever! I had so much pee to pee but finally, I was done. I hopped up and was about to open the driver's door to go on my way when a super tall and good looking police man walked around from the other side.

EEK! I was all afluster. He said "can I help you?" and I was a stuttering, whiny mess. It all came out in a rush like "I just peed right over there (gesturing to the place to make sure he could properly visualize the scene) ... I'm pregnant (gesture to my abdomen in case he missed it before) and my babies are asleep in the car (gesture there too ... my hands must have been flailing around) and I can't get them out (I did NOT add that they had no shoes ...) and and and. The poor guy just stood there, trying to absorb it all. I can only imagine I made his night as he retold the story to his buddies in the station. "... so then I came across a whopping pregnant lady who PEED in the back parking lot ... man, you should have seen the puddle!"

I was so humiliated I cried as I got back onto the highway but I felt like a million dollars with an empty bladder! I vowed to myself I would never tell a soul but here I am, unable to resist a laugh! On Sunday morning, I mustered the courage to tell John (who... shh.. once pooed his pants on Ravenwood Drive hustling back to our house) and he said "why didn't you just pull over and pee into the empty coffee cup". Head smack! Yes ... why didn't I??? Next time for SURE!

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it great when a Dad can keep up with his kids through a blog? I have my own story but I believe you've heard it.
    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. Well I can't say that I've ever found someone peeing in our parking lot. I hate to tell you this...but every police station has video cameras around the outside so we can see the parking lots, etc from inside...so we don't get shot when we walk out...He probably thought you were a drunk peeing in the lot when they saw you on video! I'm sure its still being talked about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg...that is hysterial....a story to share w/ your children when they grow up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, I laughed so hard for hours on end; I don't think my kids saw me in such good disposition for a long time. So thank you! This is too good not to share!

    ReplyDelete