Thursday, March 5, 2009

Naps: How it is done (every day, twice a day)

One of my goals in keeping this blog is to be of assistance to other new moms, whether they have lots of little ones or just one. Something that makes my days bearable are naps. Now I've heard tales of little rascals beginning to refuse naps between one and two years of age. To this I say "No!" And, at least so far, we follow a strict nap schedule around here.

Ava is fat and a little slow. Capturing her for naps and getting her to actually sleep is easy. Claire is fast and nimble. If she had a more patient, not pregnant mother, she probably would have stopped taking a morning nap a year ago. But as I said, I say "No!" My trick for Claire is to turn nap time into "quiet rest time" which is so much nicer sounding. I supply her with toys and books, sometimes a snack, music and then close the door. My two share a nursery and I keep them on the same nap schedule. While Ava sleeps (peacefully? I don't know ...), I can hear Claire screaming at her "AAAAAVVVVVAAAAAA NO!" There are days when no one sleeps during naptime, not even me. Not even I. On those days, lots of interesting conversation ensues between cribbed Claire and Pack N Played Ava (I have avoided two unwieldly cribs by employing a full time pack n play). From the audio vantage point of my bedroom downhall, it sounds like peekaboo is a favorite accompanied by joyous squealing. A runner up seems to be "forcing words out of Ava" which is interesting if not a little sad to hear:

Claire: Ava. Say yes.
Ava: No
Claire: (authoritatively) AVA. Say yes.
Ava: No
Claire: (now yelling) AVA! SAY YES!
Ava: (tone and volume never altered) No.
Claire: (frantic with rage) AVA SAY YES!!!!!
Ava: (God bless her) No

Now I am always rooting for the chubby underdog, Ava. Depending on the language demand, sometimes I will step in and rescue her from the rabid big sister. I've heard Claire demand nonsense words and then some three or four word sentences I know my poor little baby probably can't repeat, even if she wanted to. Not that she ever does. She is a tough little biscuit!

In my foolish, younger days, I used to nap Ava in the crib, which is hers at night (Claire has a toddler bed for nighttime sleeping) and Claire in the Pack N Play. That was fine until Claire learned that it is possible to use one's 30 pounds to "walk" the pack n play all over the nursery, allowing the driver the added advantage of being a foot taller when destination is reached. It happened more than once that the changing table toppings were all opened and flung to far reaches. One day, I found she'd hopped the pack n play into the closet, somehow over the edge of the rug. On another occasion (I am a slow learner), I caught her delivering contraban to Ava in the crib, hopping to and from the bookshelf. That was the day I vowed to switch things around to better suit my phobias re diaper creme, small part toys, and tearable books. That is how Ava was tossed out of the crib and into the pack n play for naps. Slow sleepy Ava hasn't yet figured out about throwing her weight around, at least not in relation to pack n plays during naptime.

In summary, I intend to keep up my nap cherade with my two whippets until they can vote with their feet. Then I have plans for that time ... (rubbing hands together gleefully) I will have manditory quiet time. NO NOISE. Every single day from 1pm to 4pm. Reading, clay modeling and needlepoint will be highly encouraged. I am also eager to install cocktail hour to our evening schedule once I can afford to be tipsy on the job. Okay, totally wasted. I'll serve the little buggers roy rogers and ... what's that other consolation drink I used to love ... shirley temples! until the happy day we can all get wasted together as a family. You are all invited : )

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, I recommend a book called 'Shepherding a Child's Heart' by Tedd Tripp. Thanks for giving me some empathetic laughs and grunts in my day :) Take care. Jason Pittman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that. Awesome book!!

    ReplyDelete